Hello Everyone! For today's DIY I decided I wanted to make a stamped necklace. A few of you had been asking for something to do for mother's day. This is what I am going to be giving my mother, it is beautiful and personal, and I really like the roughness to it. So let's get started.
You Will Need:
• Gold Chain (I purchased some at Walmart for $3.97)
• Clasps and loops (These came in the pack with my chain)
• Nail or Pin
• Clay (I purchased this at Walmart for $1.44)
• Gold Paint (I purchased mine at Michaels for $3.47 - it's Foyt Metallic Gold)
• A stencil of your choice (optional)
• Jewellery pliers (optional - I picked up a pack of 3 travel ones at Walmart for $11.97)
2. Once your clay is flattened, use your stencil to cut out your desired pendant shape. I used an icing bag top as my stencil, it gave me the ideal sized circle for my necklace. You can make your pendant however you'd like to.
3. Take your nail and press it through the top of your pendant, this will be the hole where your loop with attach. Make sure to choose a big enough nail that your loop will sit nicely.
4. Now it's time to add a personal touch. Take the same nail or a pin and create a design. This can be an icon, a shape, a word, a letter, anything. Make it personal, and if it's a gift make it something that represents the two of you.
5. Once you're happy with your design, put it on a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet in a 275 degree oven for 15 minutes.
6. While your clay is cooking you can work on putting together your chain. Now if you'd like to skip this step and use an existing chain you are more than welcome to.
7. Measure out the length of chain, you can use an existing necklace for guidance or simple wrap the chain around your neck and mark it at the desire length. I made mine 15.5" long. Once you have it measured out, using your jewellery pliers open one of the chain links and detach it.
8. Take a loop and open it up, attach a clasp and one end of the chain and close the loop. For the other side simply attach the chain to another loop and you're chain is finished.
9. Once your clay is done cooking and cooled (this only takes 10 minutes) you can begin painting. Paint in light coats. This will give the pendant the best look.
10. Let your pendant dry for an hour after the final coat. Attach a loop to the top of the pendant and then to the chain and you're finished.
If you would like to watch the video to have a better idea how to make this beautiful pendant, click here:
Thanks for reading and watching, and I'll see you in the next one!