Hello Everyone! A new year is upon us and with that I was in need of a new desk calendar. I really wanted one that reflected my style but was still practical. So off I went to the drawing board and came up with this gem! I am so beyond pleased with how it turned out and it is easy to do and can be used year after year.
You Will Need
• Wood (Get a type of wood that stains well. I went with pine that was 3/4 thick)
• Nuts and Bolts (This size will depend on your clip)
• A Clip (I took mine from a clipboard)
• Wood Stain (I used the shade "Kono")
• Wood Glue
• Nails (Nailing Gun)
1. Begin by cutting two pieces of wood. Now if you don't have a saw or don't know anyone who could help you do this. Most hardware stores offer this service. I will list the measurements I used down below. This includes the angles as well so your calendar sits similar to a photo frame.
Main Piece: 7 1/2 in x 9 1/2 in. Bottom has an angle of 16 degrees.
Supporting Piece: 7 1/2 in x 4 in. The long edge has an angle of 30 degrees.
2. Once cut take some wood glue and stick the two angled edges together. This will ensure you have a stronger bond between your two pieces.
3. Next take your nail gun (I recommend a nail gun because it's finer and you don't risk nicking your wood.) and nail together your two pieces. Let your calendar sit for about 20 minutes before moving to the next step to let your glue set.
** Tip: If you want to hide your nails simply use a wood filler that is safe to stain. **
4. Take your sandpaper and begin to sand your entire piece. This will smooth out any rough edges and clean up the wood for staining.
5. Now it's time to stain. I highly recommend that you read your instructions carefully for dry time. Most stain has the same application. Rub on in thin and even strokes and wipe off immediately with a dry rag. Make sure you give ample drying time between coats.
6. Once fully dried you can attach your clip. Thread your bolts through your clip then through the wood. Attach the nuts and tighten with a screwdriver if necessary.
7. Now it comes time for your calendar. The nice thing about this is you can completely customize it to your liking. If you would like to use my calendar you can do so my follow the link here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-PJ__wJh8SlZkVxMkZZUEQyd0k/view?usp=sharing
Now you can also make your own either in a template maker or Photoshop. If you want to make yours the same size as mine - make your document 6 x 7 inches.
This calendar is a nice change to the typical desk calendar and it is the perfect accent to your space. I hope you enjoyed this DIY and I can't wait to talk to you in the next one!
Thanks for watching and reading!